FAQs for Supporters
What does SAMSN provide?
- SAMSN provides support to adult male (18 and above) who were sexually abused when they were children or young people, as well as to family members, and supporters.
- This support includes;
- Individual (Planned) Support
- Eight-week Groups, Supporters & Survivors workshops
- Service Provider’s workshops.
- SAMSN also provides training and consultancy to organisations
Should I come to a Supporters and Survivors Workshop?
The SAMSN Supporters & Survivors’ Workshops are held over one full day and will provide you and your supporters with an opportunity to meet with others to explore issues you face in dealing with the ripple effects of child sexual abuse. Facilitated by SAMSN staff, the workshop will also provide you with tools and strategies for supporting each other in the future, with professional & lived experience. You are welcome to attend on your own if you prefer.
Can I refer a friend/family member who is a survivor to SAMSN?
- SAMSN will be happy to provide services to you directly, in your role of “supporter” regardless of whether your friend or family member are ready for support.
- SAMSN is happy to take referrals from family and friends, as well as service providers if the survivor has consented.
Does SAMSN provide one on one counselling for supporters?
- SAMSN does have a qualified counsellor who can provide short-term counselling for supporters.
- Where possible SAMSN will endeavour to link survivors with long term, affordable counselling services in their area; however, if there are guys facing barriers to counselling or significant time delays to access, our counsellor can provide support by phone or face to face.
Do you offer online support?
- At this stage SAMSN offers support face to face, by phone and over email. We are hoping to explore online support options in the future.
How much does it cost to access SAMSN services?
Will SAMSN share my information with other people/services?
- SAMSN will only share your information with other services, at YOUR request.
- SAMSN is happy to collaborate with other services in order to improve your access or supports, but only with your consent.
- SAMSN does have reporting requirements as part of funding agreements to provide some demographic information to funding bodies. However, this is de-identified and aggregated data (We don’t tell them your name or any other identifying information). If you want to find out more about what data, we might collect please let us know or refer to our Privacy Statement on our website.
- There are some limited circumstances where SAMSN is required to release your information, for instance if there is a serious & current risk or threat of harm to the survivor or another person, or in some circumstances a court subpoena.
Can't find what you're looking for?
SAMSN acknowledges the Traditional Custodians of the land on which we live and work. We pay our respect to Past, Present and Future Elders.