We are recruiting staff for the following position:
Social Worker - Planned Support
Reporting to: Clinical Services Manager
Role Type: Full-Time
To support the achievement of Survivors & Mates Support Network’s (SAMSN’s) business objectives
Using a trauma-informed and culturally safe approach, SAMSN’s Planned Support and Community Engagement Teams work alongside individuals [men], their families and other agencies where appropriate, to address systemic, social and personal barriers that prevent or limit adult male survivors’ access to financial, legal, welfare and counselling support to which they are entitled, and which may support their recovery.
A world in which male survivors struggling with the adverse effects of childhood sexual abuse can easily access support and find understanding and acceptance.
To build a support network that gives voice and agency to male survivors and their supporters.
Our Values Statement
We believe male survivors can recover from child sexual abuse, support others to thrive and be leaders for change.
- Be part of the Intake Roster and provide the initial response to survivors and their supporters. This includes completing an intake process gathering relevant details and providing information about the range of services offered at SAMSN, and where appropriate discuss referrals to other relevant service providers
- Conduct assessments of male survivors’ support needs in respect of issues such as access to counselling, navigating government services such as Centrelink, housing, and financial concerns
- Under supervision, provide ongoing individual support, including crisis and supportive counselling, and advocacy to survivors and where appropriate, supporters
- Provide support and assistance to survivors to make applications for compensation payments and redress, including State-based schemes and the National Redress Scheme
- Advocate on behalf of the survivor and provide support in police investigations and criminal justice proceedings
- Attend interagency meetings and events as required
- Collaborate with key agencies such as NSW Victim Services, National Redress Scheme, knowmore and other statutory authorities to best provide trauma-informed support to male survivors and their families
Eight-week Support Groups
- As part of the intake process, provide initial information to potential group participants and discuss matters relevant to their participation (i.e. the man’s readiness to participate in such a group, previous counselling/therapeutic contact)
- Assist in the co-ordination of the eight-week groups, including responding to initial enquiries and the registration and maintenance of the waitlist
- Provide support to group participants in the lead-up to, during and after each group as required. This will be determined through collaboration with the Planned Support worker, group facilitators and the Clinical Services Manager
- Where appropriately qualified and experienced, be available to co-facilitate eight-week groups and monthly meetings, as required
- Work as part of the SAMSN team to deliver other services such as workshops, training and other presentations
- Participate in activities to support the Community Engagement team; including attending meetings and events within the community and service sector to assist in increasing awareness of and access to SAMSN services for male survivors and their supporters
- Assist with the development and implementation of the community engagement strategy to target priority populations as required
- Attend clinical and team meetings
- Participate in learning and development and supervision
- Comply with SAMSN’s Code of Conduct
Perform other work as directed by manager within the scope of the role.
How to apply:
SAMSN has retained Beaumont People to manage this recruitment, please contact Chloe Barton, either by email email@example.com
or telephone 02 9093 4911.