Supporting male survivors: A workshop for partners, family and friends
SAMSN is committed to supporting men who were sexually abused when they were children or teenagers. As part of this commitment, SAMSN conducts workshops to support the partners, family members and friends of men recovering from abuse. These workshops are designed to support the supporters but are also open to male survivors to attend.
This workshop will provide answers to these difficult questions and assist supporters to have confidence in responding to the needs of male survivors. These workshops are interactive with time to make comments and ask questions.
SAMSN members will also be present. They are survivors of child sexual abuse and know first-hand the importance of receiving support from those around them. Like all survivors they have benefited from these important people in their journey of recovery.
What will the workshop cover?
The first session ‘The Effects of Child Sexual Abuse on Males’ will look at:
- The impact of sexual abuse on the developing child
- Being abused is never a child’s fault
- What is grooming and how does it make a child more vulnerable to abuse?
- The effects of child sexual abuse on children, especially boys
- The impacts of child sexual abuse on the adult lives of men
The second session ‘Recovery and Support’ will cover:
- Impacts of child sexual abuse on men’s later relationships with
- friends and work colleagues
- Recovery is possible and it does happen
- The types of support that work best
- Changes in relationships as recovery progresses
- Supporters caring for themselves
- Time for questions, comments and discussion. This section will be conducted by a SAMSN Co-founder and a SAMSN member.
Cost: The Supporters Workshop is now FREE for all participants.
Registrations from 9am
Part 1: 9.30am
An overview of child sexual abuse:
Dynamics, impacts & ripple effects
Morning tea 11am (supplied)
Part 2: 11.20am
Understanding the needs of survivors & supporters
Lunch 12.45pm (supplied)
Part 3: 1.15pm
In keeping with SAMSN’s focus on safety and care, people are encouraged to stay back after the workshop for a chat with the presenters, SAMSN staff members and other participants.
Dates & Locations 2019:
|Camperdown – 27th July (Sat)||BOOK NOW|
|Newcastle – 10th Aug (Sat)||BOOK NOW|
|Parramatta – 7th Sep (Sat)||BOOK NOW|
|Register your interest for another location||REGISTER NOW|
“It was a really supportive, helpful, respectful environment and really informative.”
“Brilliant, caring presenters. Helped me develop a better understanding of child sexual abuse impacts and how we can better support our son.”
“Really important that both survivors and supporters have an opportunity to be together and share experiences.”
“I can’t thank you guys enough. Couldn’t fault venue, facilities, booking in, presenters, material.”
“I attended as a spouse of a survivor and found the workshop well planned and presented – very comprehensive.”
“Excellent presentation – it was focused on ‘real’ issues.”
“Well-presented, informative and it definitely has, and will help further my recovery.”
“It was really great that all support groups present were acknowledged and welcomed to advertise themselves here. It showed a real genuineness of care for the survivor.”